1. How do I apply ONLINE?
Ans: Go to the link gate.iisc.ernet.in, read the instruction and then click on How to apply.
2. Can I use one e-mail address to fill multiple application forms?
Ans: NO, one e-mail address can be used to submit only one application form.
3. Why should I choose three examination cities?
Ans: Generally, you will be allotted a centre in the examination city of your first choice. Only in cases where it becomes difficult to accommodate you in the examination city of your first choice, your other two choices will be considered. A candidate is required to fill his/her primary as well as secondary choices, but should remember that because of operational constraints, the GATE committee reserves the right to add a new city or remove an existing one, and allot a city that may not be any of the choices of a candidate.
4. My power / internet connection failed during the application process, what do I do?
Ans: If you have clicked on the “Save” button during the application process, the data you entered up to that point of time has been stored online. Simply login back to the GATE 2016 application website and continue the application process. Otherwise, you have to start the process afresh.
5. You are asking only the SC / ST / PwD candidates to upload the category certificate. What about the OBC (non-creamy layer) candidates? Do they have to upload the category certificate too?
Ans: No. Category certificate is required at this stage only to claim the concessional rate for the application fee. The category of the candidate has been captured for general information purpose only. The GATE scorecard displays the marks / score obtained by the candidate and the category- wise cut-off. However, you have to produce the category certificate to the admitting institute at the time of admission to justify your claim of belonging to the respective category.
6. How do I make the fee payment for GATE 2017 examination?
Ans: You can make the payment during the ONLINE application process by choosing the following option:
- Online Payment: Net Banking through the payment gateway.
- e-challan : e-challan of both State Bank of India / Axis Bank.
7. If I want the Online Payment (Net-banking) option, how should I complete the application process?
Ans: After filling all the fields in the ONLINE application form, choose the Online Payment option and proceed for payment by following the instructions. Your browser screen will re-direct you to the bank you choose. Login with your Internet Banking credentials and confirm the payment. After confirming the payment, you will be re-directed back to the GATE 2016 application website. At the end of this process, you can download a PDF file will be generated with the necessary details of the candidates, like full name, date of birth (DoB), scanned photograph, sex, category (GE/OBC/SC/ST), PwD (Y/N). Full contact address, mobile number, email id, etc. Take a printout of the entire PDF file for your future reference/use.
8. My power/internet connection failed during online payment. What do I do?
Ans: When you can get back online, first check the status of your payment on the GATE application website.
- If the payment was received by GATE, you can continue the process of printing the application form.
9. My net banking account has been debited (money taken out) more than once. How do I get the money back?
Ans: This can happen if your bank account was used more than once or you pressed refresh or back/forward button of your internet browser. Any unaccounted or excess money that was received on behalf of GATE 2016 from this account will automatically be returned (credited) to the same bank account.
10. My bank account has been debited (money taken out), but GATE Application website says that the payment has not been received. What do I do?
Ans: This happens because of some failure in internet transactions (including failure of internet connection at your end). Within 72 Hr. GATE Application website shows that the payment is success, you will be charged only once. Any excess/unaccounted debits will be returned to you.
1. For how many GATE papers can I apply?
Ans:A candidate can apply for only ONE of the 22 papers listed in the GATE INFORMATION BROCHURE or GATE website. The choice of the appropriate paper is the responsibility of the candidate. Some guidelines in this respect are suggested below. a) The candidate is expected to appear in a paper appropriate to the discipline of his/her qualifying degree. b) The candidate is, however, free to choose any paper according to his/her admission plan, keeping in mind the eligibility criteria of the institutions in which he/she wishes to seek admission.
2. After submission of application, am I permitted to change my GATE Examination Paper and Examination City?
Ans:Requests for change of GATE Examination paper after the submission of Application Form will not be considered. However, requests for change of examination city will be accepted till 3rd week of November,2016 with an additional fee to be paid in the form of a Demand Draft.
3. Will I be provided with any white paper for rough work and calculations during the test?
Ans: A scribble pad will be provided to the candidate that can be used to do the rough work. The candidate has to return the scribble pad after the examination.
4. Am I allowed to leave the examination hall during the test?
Ans: NO. Candidates will NOT be allowed to leave the examination hall for any reason during the test. Candidates are allowed to leave the computer laboratory where the exam will be conducted only after the closure of the test at the scheduled end of examination in a session.
5. What items are not permitted to be brought with me inside the examination venue?
Ans: Electronic diary, mobile phone, and any such electronic gadgets, blank papers, clip boards and log-tables will not be allowed in the examination venue.
6. Can I use a calculator during the examination?
Ans: Yes. You can use your own non-programmable calculator.
7. Will there be any arrangement at the test center for the safe keeping of my personal items such as my mobile phone?
Ans: NO. Such arrangements will not be possible at the test center.
Q. 1) When will I receive my admit card?
Ans:Admit card can only be downloaded from the GOAPS website in December 2016. Admit Cards will NOT be sent by post. Exact dates are yet to be announced.
Q. 2) Is the Admit card alone sufficient to gain entry to the exam?
Ans:No. Bring the Admit Card at the test center along with at least one original (not photocopied/scanned copy) and valid (not expired) photo identification, whose details have been entered while filling the application. ONLY one of the following photo identifications is permitted: Driving license, Passport, PAN Card, Voter ID, Aadhaar UID, College ID, Employee Identification Card, or a Notarized Affidavit with Photo, Signature, Date of Birth and Residential Address. Photocopies of the identification document are not acceptable. Candidates will not be permitted to take the exam if the original and valid photo identification is not presented.